Re: Overriding X on panic

From: D. Hazelton
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 17:50:43 EST

On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:19, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On 11/27/06, Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > for the Intel hw Keith doesn't seem to think it's all that much of a
> > > problem though...
> >
> > Including the TV out, odder LCD panels, non BIOS modes etc ? If so then
> > it might be an interesting test case for intelfb to grow some kind of
> > console helper interface
>
> It's non-trivial, I think you are better off going initially with just
> using the current framebuffer that X is using, I know ajax was doing
> some hacking on this with a "user"-framebuffer, until I disuaded him
> due to I think the trouble caused by dual-head and something else I
> can't remember..
>
> I personally think we need to probably just bite the bullet and start
> sticking graphics drivers into the kernel, the new randr-1.2 interface
> for X is probably a good starting point for a generic mode setting
> interface that isn't so X dependent and could replace fbdev with
> something more sane wrt dualhead and multiple outputs... fbdev could
> be implemented on top of that layer then.. also suspend/resume really
> needs this sort of thing....

I've been working on this myself. Unfortunately the box I was using for devel
has died and the start I made on the work was lost several months ago when I
had a hard drive die on me. (I really need to go buy a UPS and a better surge
protector - the box I was doing devel on bought it in a lightning strike and
the hard drive I had used as a backup just died)

> My main worry with integrating graphics drivers into the kernel is
> that when they don't work the user gets no screen, with network/sound
> etc this isn't so bad, but if they can't see a screen debugging gets
> to be a bit more difficult....

Yeah - this is why the work I was doing kept the old vgacon around and used
fbcon on those platforms that needed it (unchanged). My plan was to add a
graphics system that would "take over" from the boot console when it was
ready to take over.

DRH