re: skge error; hangs w/ hardware memory hole (was re: X86_64 + VIA+ 4g problems)

From: Howard Chu
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 07:25:25 EST

Just to tie up a loose end... I tested Andi Kleen's new patch for this issue on 2.6.18.3. While the patch didn't automatically detect the VIA chipset in my Asus A8V Deluxe, it allowed me to manually set a boot option that fixes the problem (by disabling DMA to addresses over 4GB). The fix is essentially the same as Andi posted here

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/msg/b1e820ef0212ee5e

although you have to patch pci-dma.c now, not pci-gart.c.

As another note - with my AGP aperture set to only 64MB, 3904MB are visible. With the aperture set to 256MB, the full 4096MB are visible.

--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com