Re: [Kernel-discuss] RFC - platform device, IRQs and SoC devices

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Nov 25 2006 - 07:34:49 EST

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 11:37:50AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> Ian Molton wrote:
> >Hi there.
> >
> >Im working on some SoC type devices attached to the system bus of my ARM
> >devboard in an isa-like way.
> >
> >The devices are small SoC (System On Chip) types, with one IRQ routed to
> >the half dozen (sub)devices on board the SoC.
>
> I just thought of a 'third way'.
>
> let IRQchips have their own struct irq_desc and have subdevice IRQs
> start from 0.
>
> since those IRQs can only be raised by the parent chip I think this
> ought to work, and would eliminated the problem of a fixed size irq array...

It's quite possible to have:

IRQ chip
0 irqchip_0
1 irqchip_0
2 irqchip_1
3 irqchip_0
4 irqchip_0
5 irqchip_1
6 irqchip_2
7 irqchip_2
8 irqchip_2
9 irqchip_1

Where do you start '0' for each irqchip? How do you split the irq_desc
array between the irqchips?

(and yes there are platforms merged which do this.)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: