Re: [patch] x86: unify/rewrite SMP TSC sync code

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 15:48:50 EST

* Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > yeah - the main new bit for x86-64 is the unconditional check for time
> > warps. We shouldnt (and cannot) really trust the CPU and the board/BIOS
> > getting it right. There were always some motherboards using Intel CPUs
> > that had the TSCs wrong.
>
> In the 64bit capable generation I don't know of any run in spec
> (except for multinode systems and there was one overclocked system
> where the cores got unsync, but overclocking is an operator error)

i have one (Intel based), 64-bit, fully in spec, which is off by
~3000-4000 cycles. So it happens. But it's a no-brainer thing, this area
is historically so bad that it would be crazy /not/ to spend this 20
msecs bootup time per CPU to check whether its TSC is in sync.

I was in fact surprised when i noticed that you removed the
unconditional TSC check that i put there years ago - with this we
started a ride into the dark with lights off. If the situation gets
better in say 2 years and no system ever produces the warning message we
can remove it. (but i doubt it will ever get 100% correct.) [The patch
will need some cooking in -mm, because it touches code that is fragile
to begin with, but it's a necessity i'm quite sure.]

> > > The trouble is that people are using the RDTSC anyways even if the
> > > kernel doesn't. So some synchronization is probably a good idea.
> >
> > which apps are using it? It might be safer in terms of app
> > compatibility if we removed the TSC bit in the case where we know it
> > doesnt work, and if we turned the feature off in the CPU in this
> > case. We could also try to 'approximately' sync up the TSC,
>
> There was a patch from google for trap -- trapping RDTSC for syncing
> on demand. I'm not sure that was the right strategy though.

but which apps are using RDTSC natively? Trapping isnt too good i agree
- if then we should remove it from the CPU features and hence apps wont
(or shouldnt) use it.

> > nor can the TSC really be synced up properly in the hotplug CPU
> > case, after the fact - what if the app already read out an older TSC
> > value and a new CPU is added. If the TSC isnt sync on SMP then it
> > quickly gets pretty messy, and we should rather take a look at /why/
> > these apps are using RDTSC.
>
> Because gettimeofday is too slow.

as i indicated it in another discussion, i can fix that. Next patch will
be that.

Ingo