Re: Kernel cross compilation error

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 01:02:43 EST

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:20:17AM +0530, atoka wrote:
> hi everyone,
> im a kernel newbie. im using a debian linux(ie ubuntu).i did
> cross compilation for ia64 on my system which is ia32. Now im trying
> to cross compile ia64 kernel but im getting some error. before
> compiling kernel, i did made changes in Makefile to specify my
> ia64-linux compiler and libraries .

You should not have changed the contents of your makefile but just
passed it some parameters.

> when i gave make menuconfig command i got following errors
>
> root@atoka-desktop:/linux-2.6.18# make ARCH=ia64 menuconfig
> HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'use_config':
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: 'PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in
> this function)
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
> reported only once
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: for each function it appears in.)
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: warning: unused variable 's'
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'parse_dep_file':
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c:300: error: 'PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in
> this function)
> scripts/basic/fixdep.c:300: warning: unused variable 's'
> make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
> make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

It is because you have changed HOSTCC which is the compiler for the
host you're building from. Normally, you just have to do something
like this :

$ make ARCH=ia64 CC=ia64-gcc menuconfig vmlinux ...

And BTW, don't build as root, one day you will regret it.

> i tried defining the PATH_MAX macro in fixdep.c to 100, but then it
> gave error in some other file.
> Can anyone help me out with this error?

Regards,
Willy