Re: Thousands of interfaces

From: Ben Greear
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 10:54:13 EST

David Miller wrote:
From: Peter Hicks <peter.hicks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:25:50 +0000

[ Discussion belongs on netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, added to CC: ]

I have a dual 3GHz Xeon machine with a 2.4.21 kernel and thousands (15k+) of
ipip tunnel interfaces. These are being used to tunnel traffic from remote
routers, over a private network, and handed off to a third party.
Is it possible to speed up creation of the interfaces? Currently it takes
around 24 hours. Is there are more efficient way to handle a very large
number of IP-IP tunnels? Would upgrading to a 2.6 kernel be of use?

2.6 (and the associated 'ip' tool) does have some improvements for showing very
large numbers of interfaces. I haven't tried more than a few thousand though...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com