Re: 2.6.19-rc3: known unfixed regressions (v3)

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 13:59:16 EST

Quoting r. Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>:
> Subject: Re: 2.6.19-rc3: known unfixed regressions (v3)
>

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Jun'ichi Nomura wrote:
> >
> > Please revert the patch. I'll fix the wrong error handling.
> >
> > I'm not sure reverting the patch solves the ACPI problem
> > because Michael's kernel seems not having any user of
> > bd_claim_by_kobject.
>
> Yeah, doing a grep does seem to imply that there is no way that those
> changes could matter.
>
> Michael, can you double-check? I think Jun'ichi is right - in your kernel,
> according to the config posted on bugzilla, I don't think there should be
> a single caller of bd_claim_by_disk, since CONFIG_MD is disabled.

I will, just maybe not today.

> So it does seem strange. But if you bisected to that patch, and it
> reliably does _not_ have problems with the patch reverted, maybe there is
> some strange preprocessor thing that makes "grep" not find the caller.
>
> Michael, you also reported:
>
> > Reset to d7dd8fd9557840162b724a8ac1366dd78a12dff seems to hide part of
> > the issue (I have ACPI after kernel build, but not after
> > suspend/resume). Both reverting this patch, and reset to the parent of
> > this patch seem to solve (or at least, hide) both problems for me (no
> > ACPI after suspend/resume and no ACPI after kernel build).
>
> (where that "d7dd8f.." is actually missing the initial "4" - I think you
> cut-and-pasted things incorrectly).

Yes.

> So I wonder.. You still had ACPI working _after_ the kernel build even
> with that patch in place, and it seems that suspend/resume is the real
> issue. Martin Lorenz reports on the same bugzilla entry, and he only has
> problems with suspend/resume.
>
> I assume that "compile the kernel" just triggers some magic ACPI event
> (probably fan-related due to heat), and I wonder if the bisection faked
> you out because once you get "close enough" the differences are small
> enough that the kernel compile is quick and the heat event doesn't
> actually trigger?
>
> See what I'm saying? Maybe the act of bisecting itself changed the
> results, and then when you just revert the patch, you end up in the same
> situation: you only recompile a small part (you only recompile that
> particular file), and the problem doesn't occur, so you'd think that the
> revert "fixed" it.
>
> If it's heat-related, it should probably trigger by anything that does a
> lot of CPU (and perhaps disk) accesses, not just kernel builds. It might
> be good to try to find another test-case for it than a kernel recompile,
> one that doesn't depend on how much changed in the kernel..
>
> Linus

Linus, I agree something fishy is going on, I'm just not sure how to debug.
It kind of looks like some memory corruption, or something.
I plan double-checking sometime later.

2 points I'd like to clarify:
1. When I git-bisected, I tested ACPI after suspend/resume,
this is much faster to test but might be a separate issue.
I really tested several times, and unless I repeated
same mistake several times just switching between commit above
and its parent made ACPI after resume work/not work.

2. When I test kernel compile, I do
git clone -s ~/scm/linux-2.6
cd linux-2.6
make defconfig
make -j 4

so the build I do in testing is repeatable.

--
MST