Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.19-rc1-mm1 - locks when using "dd bs=1M"from card reader

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 10:09:30 EST

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Helge Hafting wrote:

> I just tested this. 2.6.18 does not crash. I still get tons of errors,
> and no data. Copying using 1MB chunks or 4kB chunks
> don't matter, it doesn't work. So card, reader or driver must be faulty.
> The card works in a windows machine though.
>
> 2.6.19-rc1 gets data with 4kB chunks, and BUGs with 1M chunks.

It would be interesting to compare 2.6.18 with 2.6.19-rc to see why the
first gets only errors while the second is able to transfer some data
using 4 KB chunks.

(By the way, what do you mean by 4 KB chunks or 1 MB chunks? Does this
refer to the bs= option for dd? That has almost nothing to do with the
size of the transfers actually sent to the device.)

But the log will be useless unless you turn on CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG.

Alan Stern