Re: [patch] remove MNT_NOEXEC check for PROT_EXEC mmaps

From: David Wagner
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 23:12:33 EST

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>noexec mounts the way _you_ want them are completely, utterly useless.
>nonexec mounts as they are today plus an upcoming mprotect patch give
>fine grained control.

Are you familiar with the mmap(PROT_EXEC, MAP_ANONYMOUS) loophole?

Even with the upcoming mprotect patch, it will still be straightforward
to circumvent the noexec protections.

>You have to use additional mechanism like SELinux
>to fill in all the holes but that's OK.

Is it even possible to use SELinux to fill in all the holes? Can you
point me to the SELinux policy that fills in all the holes (including,
for instance, addressing mmap(PROT_EXEC, MAP_ANONYMOUS))?