Re: Kernel 2.6.17.8 on Quad AMD Opteron 852 with 16x 4GB Modules(64GB RAM)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 11:49:15 EST

Björn Engelhardt wrote:
Hello,

we upgraded a Server from 32 GB RAM to 64 GB. Now we try to get a Linux (FC5) with kernel 2.6.17.8 on a Quad Opteron (852; 64bit)-system with 16x 4GB modules to run.
With 32 GB (8x 4GB modules) the system starts without any problems, but above I get kernelpanics.
The output then gives me several memoryaddresses bevore the panic appears. The board (a Tyan K8QW,model S4881) should support up to 64GB Ram. A Memorytest under Linux recognizes the 64GB and continues without an error.
I tried several BIOS-Settings.
Does the kernel support the new 4GB-Modules by 64GB Ram?

Sounds like your memory is bad.

-hpa