Re: HELP: GIT Cloning failed

From: Sean
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 16:05:45 EST

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:25:23 -0600
"Ju, Seokmann" <Seokmann.Ju@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ju,

> Above script worked without any problem when I started several months
> ago and I'm not sure when did it stop working.
> I'm using _cron_ utility on my Linux box for scheduled execution of the
> script.
>
> Any comment would be appreciated.

It looks like the jejb scsi-misc archive might not have been
configured properly for http transfers. There's a script below
which just uses git commands (not cogito) and the native git
protocol which tests out okay here.

A few comments though:

- Apparently the scsi misc tree you want is actually under "jejb"
rather than "marcelo" which you had in your script.

- It's better to use the native git protocol when possible
(well, the benefits are less on initial clone, but it's still
a good practice)

- You're causing a lot of unnecessary traffic for kernel.org by
cloning a fresh copy of all these trees, it would be much better
to clone just _once_ and then simply "git pull" in any updates.

- Two of the trees you're cloning are very close in content to
each other (linux-2.6 & scsi-misc-2.6) so you can use the git
"--reference" option to share local objects saving disk space
(and reducing bandwidth needs even further)

Cheers,
Sean

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/git/kernels/2.4 || exit
BASE="git://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git"
rm -rf linux-2.4 linux-2.6 scsi-misc-2.6
git clone $BASE/marcelo/linux-2.4
git clone $BASE/torvalds/linux-2.6
git clone --reference linux-2.6 $BASE/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6