Re: [2.6 patch] re-add -ffreestanding

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 23:35:07 EST

On Aug 21, 2006, at 19:13:20, Andi Kleen wrote:
What's the problem with adding -ffreestanding and stating explicitely which functions we want to be handled be builtins, and which functions we don't want to be handled by builtins?

Take a look at lib/string.c and think about it a bit.

So why can't lib/string.c explicitly say __builtin_foo() instead of foo() where we mean the former? Here's a brief summary:

With -ffreestanding:
__builtin_foo(): Use the GCC built-in if possible, otherwise out- of-line
foo(): Always use the out-of-line function

Without -ffreestanding:
__builtin_foo(): Use the GCC built-in if possible, otherwise out- of-line
foo(): Use the GCC built-in if possible, otherwise out- of-line

What's wrong with always specifying -ffreestanding and using __builtin_foo() instead of foo() where applicable? That's what it was designed for, according to the GCC manual:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C- Dialect-Options

If you want to unconditionally force a certain function to use the GCC built-in on a particular architecture, you could always just do this to get exactly the same result as without -ffreestanding:

#define memcpy(dest, src, len) __builtin_strcpy((dest), (src), (len))
#define memcmp(a, b, len) __builtin_strcmp((a), (b), (len))
[...]

Just stuff those types of defines in an x86-64 specific header somewhere and turn on -ffreestanding unconditionally; you'll fix all of the problems with MIPS, etc, without even changing the semantics on x86-64.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett