Re: [NTP 5/9] add time_adjust to tick length

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Sun Aug 20 2006 - 13:22:51 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:01:51 +0200, zippel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > This folds update_ntp_one_tick() into second_overflow() and adds
> > time_adjust to the tick length, this makes time_next_adjust unnecessary.
> > This slightly changes the adjtime() behaviour, instead of applying it to
> > the next tick, it's applied to the next second.
> > -/* Don't completely fail for HZ > 500. */
> > -int tickadj = 500/HZ ? : 1; /* microsecs */
>
> The tickadj is used by cris, frv, m32r, m68k, mips and sparc. This
> patch would break build on those platforms.
>
> I have not looked at this patch closely yet. Just a report.

Oops, I indeed missed that. I searched for if anyone would change that
value, but later forgot about the other users.
A simple solution would be to move this (constant) value to a header and
another rather simple solution would be to remove it completely, as it's
rather bogus anyway. These users check time_adjust, which is unused in a
NTP controlled system. The correct value to check would be the tick
length, but I'm sure it's really worth the trouble.

bye, Roman