Re: Daily crashes, incorrect RAID behaviour

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 07:45:02 EST

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Andrew Baker wrote:

We too are having the same problem and the only obviously common factor is
Maxtor SATA HDD.

We have two identical systems - 64 bit - 2 x Dual Opterons, 8Gb Ram running
Novell/SUSE SLES10. Both systems are showing the problem.

In our case the RAID controller is

3ware Escalade 9550SX - 8LP

And the HDD are:

Maxtor MaxLine III (7V250F0) 250GB SATA II

The symptoms here are almost exactly as you describe. A disc "drops out" once
every week or two and the only way to clear the problem is a power cycle - or
remove and replace the HDD (our system is hot-swap).

Regards

Andrew

I had the same problem with a 3ware 2 port IDE raid controller, 7006-2. One drive would always drop out under heavy I/O. Made me sick. Moved to SW raid, all problems went away.

Justin.