Re: [MODSLAB 3/7] A Kmalloc subsystem

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 03:07:27 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:

If you have non-power-of-two caches, you could store the control data at
(addr&(~PAGE_SIZE)) - the lookup would be much faster. I wrote a patch a few
weeks ago, it's attached.

That would only work for slabs that use order 0 pages.

Most slabs are order 0. Actually: there are only 6 slabs that are not order 0 (excluding the kmalloc caches) on my system.

What about:

if (unlikely(addr & (~(PAGE_SIZE-1))))
slabp=virt_to_page(addr)->pagefield;
else
slabp=addr & (~(PAGE_SIZE-1));

Modify the kmalloc caches slightly and use non-power-of-2 cache sizes. Move the kmalloc(PAGE_SIZE) users to gfp.

From my system:
good order 1 slab caches: (i.e.: forcing them to order 0 wastes some memory)
biovec-128
blkdev_queue
mqueue_inode_cache
RAWv6
UDPv6
bogus order 1 caches: (i.e.: they could be order 0 without wasting memory)
biovec-(256)

--
Manfred