Re: Linux 2.4.34-pre1

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 00:52:40 EST

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 01:25:01AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:16:11AM +0200, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > Can you send me the .config's you are using for 2.4 and 2.6
> > > (preferably for kernel.org kernels)?
> > >

> > I can send you only the current 2.4 config I use (not exactly vanilla).
>
> Thanks, but it didn't help me much since it needed some work getting it
> compiling with uClinux-2.4.31-uc0, and the next step of creating a
> functionally equivalent 2.6 kernel doesn't seem to be reasonably
> possible.

In his case, it is a very valid reason to stay on 2.4 right now, which
was the original question IIRC.

> My aim is to compare the size of the compiled objects for finding what
> causes size regressions in 2.6 compared to 2.4.

Sometimes it will be compilers, but not by that much. Gcc3.[34] generally
produce bigger code than 2.95 at -O2, but I don't think that people in the
embedded world still use 2.95 much.

Cheers,
Willy