Re: Linux 2.4.34-pre1

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 19:08:41 EST

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 02:48:14AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 10:36:33PM +0000, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > Also, I've been asked by several people to consider merging Mikael
> > Pettersson's gcc4 patches :
> >
> > http://user.it.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/patches/2.4/
> >
> > I've been reluctant at first for the usual reasons : "who has a 2.4
> > distro with gcc4 ?" ...
>
> We're about to migrate Openwall GNU/*/Linux (Owl) from its current gcc
> 3.4.5 (which we used in our 2.0 release) to gcc 4+ - and we'd rather
> _not_ migrate to Linux 2.6 at the same time, if we can. We'd be more
> comfortable migrating to Linux 2.6 a few months later.

Considering that it's really easy to compile the kernel with a different
compiler than the userland, do you _really_ want to use such a
relatively untested kernel/gcc combination for a server platform?

cu
Adrian

--

Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than SUSE kernels among
KLive users (a service by SUSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli