Re: Serial issue

From: Russell King
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 16:59:53 EST

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:54:13PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 21:34 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > > >

> > > Any idea why the serial console does not work at all with flow control
> > > enabled (regardless of whether the host runs Linux or another OS)?
> >
> > I use serial console with flow control and haven't seen any problems.
> >
> > Can you describe your issue with more detail?
> >
> > What actions are required to get this "does not work at all" state?
> >
> > Are you passing a kernel parameter to enable flow control?
> >
> > Are you saying that you get kernel messages if flow control is disabled,
> > but if you subsequently enable flow control, and provoke a kernel message,
> > you don't see any messages? When you re-disable flow control, you do?
> >

> I believe the flow control problem is due to my cable.
>
> Anyway I don't want to confuse the issue: the problem that I want to
> solve (or at least explain) is that while the serial console works with
> the host serial port in both interrupt and polled mode, kermit file
> transfers only work in polled mode ("setserial /dev/ttyS0 irq 0").

If you're talking about sending via a polled port, the average data rate
is probably slow enough that the receiving side can keep up. But in
interrupt mode, it's probably a stream of characters at the specified
baud rate, which results in lost characters.

That explaination doesn't resolve the receiving via a polled port though.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core