Re: mplayer + heavy io: why ionice doesn't help?

From: Nick Warne
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 13:54:39 EST

Hi,

Have you followed this:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/rtc.html

Not that it will help, I don't know, but it could be to do with timing.

Nick

On 18/08/06, Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that mplayer's video playback starts to skip
if I do some serious copying or grepping on the disk
with movie being played from.

nice helps, but does not eliminate the problem.
I guessed that this is a problem with mplayer
failing to read next portion of input data in time,
so I used Jens's ionice.c from
Documentation/block/ioprio.txt

I am using it this:

ionice -c1 -n0 -p<mplayer pid>

but so far I don't see any effect from using it.
mplayer still skips.

Does anybody have an experience in this?
--
vda