Re: GPL Violation?

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 05:02:11 EST

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 10:53 +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> If you tamper with the product "as you like" (read: in unintended
> ways, not through officially available interfaces, etc.), there are
> IMHO (in .at) no disclaimers necessary - the producer has no
> responsibility any more from the moment you start tampering.

No responsibility under warranty, I agree. But that's entirely
irrelevant to the discussion at hand, as far as I can tell.

Your tampering does _not_ mean that they no longer have to comply with
the licence terms of the software they've shipped on the device. If it's
Windows, they still need to pay Microsoft for it. And if it's Linux they
still need to release all the relevant source code.

--
dwmw2