Re: RFC - how to balance Dirty+Writeback in the face of slow writeback.

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 02:58:50 EST

On Thu, Aug 17 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:
> It seems that the many-writers-to-different-disks workloads don't happen
> very often. We know this because
>
> a) The 2.4 performance is utterly awful, and I never saw anybody
> complain and

Talk to some of the people that used DVD-RAM devices (or other
excruciatingly slow writers) on their system, and they would disagree
violently :-)

It's been discussed here on lkml many times in the past, but that's
years behind us now. Thankfully your pdflush work got rid of that
embarassment. But it definitely does matter, to real ordinary users.

--
Jens Axboe