Re: PATCH/FIX for drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 09:16:03 EST

Ar Iau, 2006-08-17 am 14:27 +0200, ysgrifennodd Bodo Eggert:
> HAL using O_EXCL will randomly prevent burning/mounting/etc by causing a
> race condition, so it can't do that. HAL not using O_EXCL will OTOH succeed

man 3 sleep
man 2 flock

or in the GUI world I'm firmly assured that the sun shines out of the
arse of dbus for intra desktop communication.

Lots of solutions.

> Maybe it's possible to cache the result and thereby prevent repeated
> opening from disturbing the burning process.

We could certainly add an ioctl for this in the new libata layer. We
couldn't automate it as with pass through commands the kernel doesn't
really know what kind of exclusivity is needed and when.

Not sure its actually useful but its doable.

Alan