Re: Random scsi disk disappearing

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 07:41:36 EST

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 02:55:58PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
[sporadic disk disappearing, no logging]

> I'd recommend turning on scsi logging; it might give you a clue about
> which bit of scanning is failing to work properly.
>
> Try booting with scsi_mod.scsi_logging_level = 448 (I think I have that
> number right; 7 shifted left by 6) and then you can compare failing and
> non-failing runs and see if there's any difference.

It should be the same as
echo $((7<<6)) > /sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/scsi_logging_level
(which indeed is 448) at runtime, right? (And yes, CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING
is set to y).

Heh oh those magic numbers!.. ;)

Ok, I've turned on the logging on a bunch of machines (using the sysfs
method), let's see what will happen next. Thank you!

By the way, should kernel pefrorm at least *some* "minimal" logging of
such a serious events by default? Well ok, ok, it's not known yet what
the event really is, so I'm shutting up now, at least for a while.. ;)

/mjt