Re: Linux 2.4.34-pre1

From: Thomas Backlund
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 05:14:16 EST

Chris Rankin skrev:
But maybe it's worth doing a user survey to find out what the users of
2.4 want... (and with that I mean users of the kernel.org 2.4 kernels,
people who use enterprise distro kernels don't count for this since
they'll not go to a newer released 2.4 anyway)

I have only one machine that is still running a v2.4 kernel (from ftp.kernel.org), and that is an
old P120 that I occasionally use as a wireless acess point.

The compiler on this P120 is indeed gcc-3.4. However, building any kernel on that machine is now
so excruciatingly painful that I am considering using a newer, beefier machine as a build machine
instead. That machine is running FC5, and so uses gcc-4.1. So from my perspective, being able to
build a 2.4 kernel using gcc-4.x would be a benefit.

Why not simply set up chroots to build in ??

--
Thomas