Re: [RFC/PATCH] Fixes for ULi5261 (tulip driver)

From: Pozsar Balazs
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 15:53:31 EST

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:02:02PM +0200, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 16 August 2006 19:43 schrieb Pozsar Balazs:
> > >
> > > I use the card with new (split out) uli526x driver with no problem. Your
> > > problems are probably unrelated.
> >
> > So, just to make it clear: if you boot without cable plugged in, let
> > the driver load, and then plug the cable in, do you have link?
> > For me, it does not have link until I rmmod the module.
>
> Same here.

The most weird thing is that, when I _rmmod_ the module, the link leds
will show a link, _before_ I even re-modprobe it! So somehow the removal
(or even an unbind via the sysfs interface) "resets" it.

> > Do you have any idea what the problem could be, or could I send you any
> > info that would help debug it?
>
> I actually played a bit with the code and what fails is uli526x_sense_speed
> in that way that phy_mode & 024 is 0 (and stays 0). But I don't understand
> why...

I made the same discovery. According to mii.h bit 0x20 would mean
"Auto-negotiation complete" and bit 0x04 would mean "Link status".

--
pozsy