Re: How to avoid serial port buffer overruns?

From: Paul Fulghum
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 15:20:36 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 12:45 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
Now I switched to stock 2.6 and while the stock kernel improved in
responsiveness, it still isn't enough by default (even with
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and CONFIG_HZ=1000). So I wanted to try the "rt" patch of
Ingo Molnar and Thomas Gleixner, but the patched kernel doesn't boot (see
bug report in a separate mail on this list).

Does the serial performance seem to have regressed from 2.4 to 2.6? I
am chasing a similar issue with a serial MIDI card (supported by the bog
standard 8250 serial driver) that drops notes under 2.6 but works with
2.4. I don't have details yet, but it sounds like a similar problem.

What specific 2.6 kernels are each of you using?

--
Paul Fulghum
Microgate Systems, Ltd.