Re: bonding: cannot remove certain named devices

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 11:14:53 EST

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Giacomo A. Catenazzi (cate@xxxxxxxxxx) said:

> > > Are you willing to work to add the special case code necessary to
> > > handle whitespace characters in the device name over all of the kernel
> > > code and also all of the userland tools too?
> >
> > But if you don't handle spaces in userspace, you handle *, ?, [, ], $,
> > ", ', \ in userspace? Should kernel disable also these (insane device
> > chars) chars?
>
> Don't forget unicode characters!

And long names or control characters.

> Seriously, while it might be insane to use some of these, I'm wondering
> if trying to filter names is more work than fixing the tools.

I think it's sane to avoid control characters and unicode/iso*, since they
can interfere with log output or analysis. I only thought about the kernel
itself and the corresponding userspace tools, which should handle any
character sequence just fine or could be easily fixed.

--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
14. Any more trouble from you and your account gets moved to the 750