Re: Linux v2.6.18-rc3

From: Jesse Brandeburg
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 00:29:07 EST

On 7/31/06, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> core_initcall() would suit. That's actually a bit late for this sort of
> thing, but we can always add a new section later if it becomes a problem.
> I'd suggest that we ensure that srcu_notifier_chain_register() performs a
> reliable BUG() if it gets called too early.

Here's a patch to test. I can't try it out on my machine because
2.6.18-rc2-mm1 (even without the patch) crashes partway through a
suspend-to-disk, in a way that's extremely hard to debug. Some sort of
spinlock-related bug occurs within ioapic_write_entry.

can't test because I also can't suspend or hibernate with rc2-mm1
(resume causes hard hang with the backlight and screen off) The issue
i reported was against linus' 2.6.18-rc3 kernel.

patch didn't apply to 2.6.18-rc3.

Thanks,
Jesse