Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 18:12:05 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
As far as people who want to use ext3 as the beginning point
to do something that is has no forwards- compatibility, there's
nothing stopping them from creating a jgarzikfs if they want. But I
think I can speak for most of the ext3 development community that we
feel that one of the strengths of ext2/3 is its ability to do smooth
upgrades (and in many cases, downgrades as well, when people need to
migrate a filesystem so it can be mounted on older kernels), and that
it's one of the reasons why ext3 has been more succesful, than say,
JFS.

When did I ever say smooth upgrades were a bad idea?

The whole point of 'cp -a ext3 ext4' is to ensure smooth upgrades continue. A key theme is to avoid -backporting- all this new stuff that's going into ext4. IMO ext3 shouldn't be a devel platform at this point in its lifecycle.

Jeff