Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 19:54:40 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> OK, you're right. We'll continue working on the fork (namely ext3) and
> when people who care consider those features stable enough they can port
> them to ext2. :-)

You're totally inappropriately focused on this whole "porting back" side.

THE WHOLE POINT IS TO NOT PORT THINGS BACK.

There is absolutely no point in any ext4 work being ported back to ext3,
since the whole point is a fork like this is to have the "stable" thing.

Yes, old bugs happen and sometimes exist in both, but hey, the number of
duplicated bugs - while not non-zero - is still less than the bugs
introduced by trying to keep things in sync.

Linus