Re: Backport of a 2.6.x USB driver to 2.4.32 - help needed

From: Pete Zaitcev
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 19:25:56 EST

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 11:48:36 +0200, Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...] The maintainer of the driver
> modified a few things for me in order to address this problem ("it
> happens because get/set_registers() are called with no process
> context"), but he was only able to modify the 2.6.x driver for me.

> I started to backport the modified version, but it seems that I ran into
> dependency hell because I get the following two missing functions
> reported when I try to compile the backported module:
>
> rtl8150.c: In Funktion Ârtl8150_get_settingsÂ:
> rtl8150.c:790: Warnung: implicit declaration of function `in_atomic'
> rtl8150.c: In Funktion Ârtl8150_threadÂ:
> rtl8150.c:857: Warnung: implicit declaration of function
> `schedule_timeout_uninterruptible'

Tell the author to do it differently. Drivers have no business
to call in_atomic(). So, he postpones some accesses until later.
This is an easy way out, I did it myself in 2.4's usb-serial,
but it's wrong. I don't see what his excuse is. Mine was that
I didn't want to debug a freaking gazillion of usb-storage
subdrivers.

Who's the guy, anyway? Was it Petkan? I'm sure he'll listen
to reason, I worked with him before.

I'm going to keep an eye on rtl8150 and oppose in_atomic when
it sneaks in.

-- Pete