Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Alex Tomas
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 17:17:28 EST

JB> When I say "you", I mean the general consensus. You can scream
JB> "don't do this" as loud as you want, the world might drown you out. Not
JB> every random person that sees "new extents in ext3" is going to know
JB> that Alex is the authority. They certainly aren't going to read the
JB> documentation. They'll read some comment on some website that says "all
JB> you need is '-o extents'!"

two point here:
a) warnings should be made visible at mount time,
something like printk(KERN_CRIT ...)
b) I don't think you're going to fight all crazy people in the world,
they'll definitely find a way to break something:
data or something else.

thanks, Alex

PS. in the end, "extents" option affects *new* files only. and one
can boot extents-enabled kernel and convert fs back.