Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 15:15:09 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:40:56 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andreas Dilger wrote:
Having a single codebase for everyone means that it is continually maintained
and users of ext3 aren't left out in the cold.
That implies continually upgrading ext3 for newer storage technologies, which in turn implies adding all sorts of incompatible formats to support better storage scaling, and new usage models.

Look, I'm not certain either way on this - I really don't like the format
incompatibility and I'd like to see a breakdown of the performance benefits
of each of the proposed new features so perhaps we can cherrypick. And I'm
deferring judgement until I've looked at some patches.

But Jeff, please stop this wild exaggeration! "continually upgrading",
"all sorts of incompatible formats". It's not helping anything.

Today's ext3 is, afaik, 100% on-disk compatible with ext3 from five years
ago, and probably with RH's 2.2-based implementation. So we have not done
and will not do the things which you are FUDding us about.

This is (again, as far as I recall) the first on-disk-incompatible change
in ext3 which has ever been proposed. It's not a thing which is done
lightly and it's not a thing which is likely to happen again for a very long
time indeed.

That's not really true, I include in the list EXT3_FEATURE_RO_COMPAT_*, EXT3_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_*, 32-bit uid/gid, ISTR some ACL-related mess, and the online resizing stuff that produces a filesystem slightly different than what mke2fs would produce for the same [larger] sized block device. Red Hat has had at least one problem in the past where users were annoyed at format changes (htree?).

I certainly grant that extents and 48bit are format changes on a -much- larger scale than in the past. Absolutely.

That's why I feel that this is a good point to calm down ext3 development, and start putting stuff like extents into ext4. If we are starting to make major changes to the format, that should be a signal that we are starting to work on a new filesystem, rather than patching an old one.

I disagree with the "years to stabilize ext4" argument, because we are starting from a known good point. I think ext4 will be easier to maintain and tune for modern storage systems, if we don't have to worry as much about that stuff for ext3.

Jeff