Re: 2.6.17-rc5-mm1

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 17:52:05 EST

* Martin J. Bligh <mbligh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>Grrr. Humpf. I can't see the option being turned on for lockdep ...
> >>what was the config option, and is it enabled by default?
>
> In the -mm1 patch:
>
> config DEBUG_MUTEXES
> - bool "Mutex debugging, deadlock detection"
> - default n
> + bool "Mutex debugging, basic checks"
> + default y
>
> Please don't do thatas a default.

but ... i fixed the performance problem that caused the previous
DEBUG_MUTEXES scalability problems. (there's no global mutex list
anymore) We also default to e.g. DEBUG_SLAB which is alot more costly.

> It fucks up all the performance checking ;-(

i'm wondering, why doesnt your config have DEBUG_MUTEXES disabled? Then
'make oldconfig' would pick it up automatically.

Ingo