Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 17:23:58 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
These are very reasonable rules... but still, I think we need to move
away from vgacon/vesafb. We need proper hardware drivers for our
hardware.

I agree we need proper drivers, but moving away from vesafb will be tough... moving away from vgacon is likely impossible for many many years yet.

Once proper hardware drivers exist, you will still need to support booting into a situation where you probably need video before a driver can be loaded -- e.g. distro installers. Server owners will likely prefer vgacon over a huge video driver they will never use for anything but text mode console.

Jeff