Re: [ANNOUNCE] FLAME: external kernel module for L2.5 meshing

From: Simon Oosthoek
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 13:42:04 EST

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:07:47 +0200
Herman Elfrink <herman.elfrink@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FLAME stands for "Forwarding Layer for Meshing"

Didn't you just reinvent 802.1d bridging? and/or WDS?

I wouldn't say "reinvent", but the difference is small but significant. FLAME could be seen as ad hoc WDS, I think. It doesn't need to know about the other "base-stations", which I think WDS does.

As far as the Ethernet protocol field. Getting a real assigned number
would have to come out of the IEEE 802.

You would need
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/ethertype/forms/index.html

It is cheaper (free vs $2500) to get a LLC sap assigned, but then
you would have to change the protocol.
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/llc/index.html

Wow, thanks, $2500 is a bit steep for a useful experiment ;-)
The free option could be interesting though...

Cheers

Simon