Re: [RFC] [Patch 0/8] statistics infrastructure

From: Frank Ch. Eigler
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 14:27:50 EST

Hi -

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:05:43PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> [...]
> > It is interesting how many solutions pop up for this sort of problem.
> > The many tracing tools/patches, systemtap, and now this, all share
> > some goals and should ideally share some of the technology.
>
> I disagree. They often have very different requirements - and a
> one-size-fits-all solution will be likely too heavyweight for most
> users.

I am not suggesting a single solution for all needs. I wanted to
focus only one aspect: the marking of those points in the kernel where
something probeworthy occurs with hooks. The different tools would
still gather and disseminate their data in their own favorite. The
main difference from the status quo is agreeing on and reusing a
common pool of hooks.

- FChE