Re: replacing X Window System !

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 18:42:30 EST

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:19:16 PDT, alan said:

> First of all, your assumptions are incorrect. Modern versions of X are
> not old, unoptimised, will do remote sessions, etc.

Remote sessions have been there as long as the DISPLAY environment variable - I
think even X10.4, 2 decades and more ago, could do that. I know that it worked
just fine 18 years ago with X11R1 (aah... building that from source on a 25mz
Sun3 took a little while). (Anybody know when the first instance of
pointing 'xmelt' at another user's machine for amusement was? :)

It's interesting that almost every attempt to devise something "better than X"
always seems to get as far as an Xterm-alike, an XClock-alike, a primitive
window manager, and 2 or 3 toy demo programs. Then, unless you're Microsoft
or Apple, you discover that doing a complete window system is *hard*.....