Re: [RFT] major libata update

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 14:14:44 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
I'd be a little concerned with that merge plan at this time - we have a lot
of sata bug reports banked up and afaict a pretty low fixup rate. Then
again, these patches might fix some of those bugs...

I guess if we can get it all in early (which is only a couple of weeks
away!) and you and Tejun will have time set aside to work on problems then
OK. But....

As you can see from the list just sent, the improved error handling will give libata much greater ability to diagnose "controller is being weird" type situations, which is a lot of what the relevant bug reports need.

After reviewing those bug reports, I see a couple oopses -- caused by BUG()-style code, and fixed in this update -- and one data corruption which persists on Sil 311x on rare motherboards. The rest are either addressed with the improved error handling, or are ATAPI + VIA AFAICS.

Jeff