Re: unknown io writes in 2.6.16

From: Mark Hedges
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 01:57:14 EST

On Wed, 10 May 2006, David Rees wrote:

> On 5/10/06, Mark Hedges <hedges@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I stop every non-kernel process except syslogd, klogd and the
> > tty's. Interfaces are down. It is still in default runlevel.
> > But the disk keeps clicking away.
> >
> > Any idea what's doing these writes?
>
> It's most likely atime updates. Mount the partitions with noatime
> option and your writes will go away.

Yes, that's it. Never noticed this much with IDE - this is my
first SATA system.

Just a wishlist that process IO could be monitored. I hate to
say it but ctl-alt-esc in W2K can monitor io by process, and
that's really useful. (I will never go back though.)

Or is this something that could be reported with the system call
auditing infrastructure?

Mark