Re: Linux 2.6.17-rc2

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 15:51:44 EST

On Saturday 22 April 2006 02:07, Andi Kleen wrote:
[snip]
> They probably forget to set PROT_EXEC in either mprotect or mmap somewhere.
> You can check in /proc/*/maps which mapping contains the address it is
> faulting on and then try to find where it is allocated or mprotect'ed.

Turned out this was exactly what the problem was. Wine attempts to match
Windows as far as read/write/execute mappings go, and war3.exe tried to
execute memory in a section with "MEM_EXECUTE" not set.

I'm surprised the program works on Windows with DEP/NX enabled, but apparently
it does. There's a patch floating around on the Wine mailing list which adds
a workaround for this problem:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2006-April/046935.html

Many thanks to Marcus Meissner for debugging it.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Third year Computer Science undergraduate.