Re: [patch 2/6] Notify page fault call chain for x86_64

From: Keshavamurthy Anil S
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 17:28:49 EST

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:07:03PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 21:01, Anil S Keshavamurthy wrote:
>
> You seem to be missing a description/rationale here.
Sorry about that, I had the description in [patch 0/6] and looks like
I missed you cc'ing in that patch. Any way I am copying it again here.

"Currently in the do_page_fault() code path, we call
notify_die(DIE_PAGE_FAULT, ...) to notify the page fault. The only
interested components for this page fault notifications are Kprobes
and/or kdb. Since notify_die() is highly overloaded, this page fault
notification is currently being sent to other components
registered with register_die_notification() which uses the same
die_chain to loop for all the registered components.

In order to optimize the do_page_fault() code path, this critical page
fault notification is now moved to different call chain and the
test results showed great improvements.

Patches for i386, x86_64, ia64, powerpc and sparc64 follows this mail."

This patch introduces the exclusive {register/unregister}_page_fault_notifier()
for use by Kprobes and kdb.

-Anil