Re: RFC: rename arch/arm/mach-s3c2410 to arch/arm/mach-s3c24xx

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 11:05:33 EST

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 01:01:16PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> Ben Dooks wrote:
> > With the advent of the s3c2410 port adding support for
> > more of the samsung SoC product line (s3c2440, s3c2442,
> > s3c2400) there have been several requests by other people
> > to rename the (in their opinion) increasingly inaccurate
> > arch/arm/mach-s3c2410 to arch/arm/mach-s3c24xx.
>
> Also, I've always found the dichotomy of having
> "include/asm-arm/arch-s3c2410" and "arch/arm/mach-s3c2410" rather weird.

There's a reason for this (this has actually been covered and discussed
at length in the past on the linux-arm mailing lists.)

Folk convinced me that the only thing which we should call "architecture"
is the CPU - so things like "PPC", "ARM", "i386" are architectures, and
not implementations of these (AT91RM9200, S3C2410).

The things in arch/arm/mach* are machine classes which support a variety
of machines which are all essentially similar. Inside these directories
you have the core support for the individual machines.

However, the problem is that we can't rename include/asm-arm/arch-* to
include/asm-arm/mach-*, because we need a symlink to select the right
one. If we renamed include/asm-arm/arch-* to include/asm-arm/mach-*,
we'd want the symlink to be called include/asm-arm/mach.

Unfortunately, we have an include/asm-arm/mach directory, so we'd end
up having to symlink include/asm-arm/mach-* to include/asm-arm/arch.
This would be even more confusing than leaving the include/asm-arm as
currently is.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core