RE: searching exported symbols from modules

From: Antti Halonen
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 09:09:58 EST

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your response.

> `insmod` (or modprobe) does all this automatically. Anything that's
> 'extern' will get resolved. You don't do anything special. You can
> also use `depmod` to verify that you won't have any problems loading.
> `man depmod`.

Yes, I know insmod and herein the problem lies. I have a module where
I want to use functions provided by another module, _if_ it is present,
otherwise use modules internal functions.

So if I hardcode the function calls statically in my module, the insmod
goes trough of course, if the service module is present. But, it fails
if it's not.

So, I want to load up, check if the service module is present, and use
it's servides.

> If you are accessing functions or other objects that are not exported
> anymore, how do you know that they even exist?

I meant that in previous kernel version, some module symbol searching
functions were available.

Br,
antti