Re: Good news --- jump from 2.6.13-rc3 to 2.6.16 (almost) ok (swsusp, input)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 17:17:17 EST

Hi!

> I finally tried to install 2.6.16 on my portable PC, jumping directly from
> 2.6.13-rc3, and there are good news. The most critical thing, namely swsusp,
> did work ok and seems faster than before. A little problem is that when
> starting the suspend, no messages are printed (the screen goes blank and
> after a bit the machine poweroff). But then resume is ok . The same goes for
> -ck1, which has a really nice feeling.

See FAQ:

Q: How do I make suspend more verbose?

A: If you want to see any non-error kernel messages on the virtual
terminal the kernel switches to during suspend, you have to set the
kernel console loglevel to at least 4 (KERN_WARNING), for example by
doing

# save the old loglevel
read LOGLEVEL DUMMY < /proc/sys/kernel/printk
# set the loglevel so we see the progress bar.
# if the level is higher than needed, we leave it alone.
if [ $LOGLEVEL -lt 5 ]; then
echo 5 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
fi

IMG_SZ=0
read IMG_SZ < /sys/power/image_size
echo -n disk > /sys/power/state
RET=$?
#
# the logic here is:
# if image_size > 0 (without kernel support, IMG_SZ will be
zero),
# then try again with image_size set to zero.
if [ $IMG_SZ -ne 0 ]; then # try again with minimal image size
echo 0 > /sys/power/image_size
echo -n disk > /sys/power/state
RET=$?
fi

# restore previous loglevel
echo $LOGLEVEL > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
exit $RET

--
Picture of sleeping (Linux) penguin wanted...