Re: procfs question

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 11:25:10 EST

yenganti pradeep wrote:
Hi,

I've created a new entry under /proc, to make tests.

I've defined an static int var=0;

Then I link my proc entry read function to a function
that only performs this:

int length;
length=sprintf(page,"Value %d",var++);

return length;

But when I cat/vi the file continuosly I get:

Value 0
Value 3
Value 6

etc...

Why is this three numbers increment?

'cat' will issue a read for more bytes than your function provides. As this read isn't fully satisfied it will issue another read for the rest at a different offset, etc. So your function gets called several times.

Just do a 'strace' on 'cat' to see what 'cat' really does. For more details search for the thread 'procfs uglyness caused by "cat"'.

Your read function really shouldn't have side effects...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Pointy-Haired Boss: I don't see anything that could stand in our way.
Dilbert: Sanity? Reality? The laws of physics?