Re: IA64 non-contiguous memory space bugs

From: 'David Gibson'
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 21:45:16 EST

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 05:14:03PM -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> David Gibson wrote on Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:12 PM
> > It doesn't really mean different things - "touches a hugepage
> > exclusive area" is the correct semantic, the ia64 implementation
> > doesn't quite encode that, but is equivalent for valid address
> > ranges. (though I wonder if that's another bug associated with by
> > task-region-max patch, without that patch invalid address ranges can
> > slip through, so maybe it's possible on ia64 to create a normalpage VM
> > with its start in the address space gap and its end in the hugepage
> > region, ouch).
>
> This is getting complicated that my little brain hurts. There has been
> so many iterations that the semantic is ambiguous. If the semantic is
> decided to be "overlap", then

The semantic is "! is this range ok for a normalpage VMA", so that we
can do that check on the MAP_FIXED path. That implies "overlap" -
except that if you assume it's passed a valid user address range in
the first place, then just checking the region is sufficient on ia64.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson