Re: udevd is killing file write performance.

From: Benjamin LaHaise
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 15:41:10 EST

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:12:23PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> It's not a terribly bad hack - it's just poor-man's hashing, and it's
> reasonably well-suited to the sorts of machines and workloads which we
> expect will hit this problem.

The dnotify/inotify wakeups are a problem, namely because the implementation
is braindead: it makes the wrong part of the interface fast (setting up
notify entries) at the expense of making the rest of the kernel slow (adding
locks to read()/write()). read() and write() are incredibly hot paths in
the kernel and should be optimized at the expense of dnotify and inotify,
which are uncommon operations.

-ben
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to interrupt, but the police are here
and they've asked us to stop the party." Don't Email: <dont@xxxxxxxxx>.