Re: slab: Remove SLAB_NO_REAP option

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 05:08:35 EST

Alok Kataria <alok.kataria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 14:18, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On 2/23/06, Alok Kataria <alok.kataria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > There can be some caches which are not used quite often, kmem_cache
> > > for instance. Now from performance perspective having SLAB_NO_REAP for
> > > such caches is good.
> >
> > Yeah, kmem_cache sounds like a realistic user, but I am wondering if
> > it makes any sense for anyone else to use it?
> >
> Right, thats why my question still is why do these iscsi & ocfs cache
> have this flag set.

I'm sure there's no good reason.

> If we are sure that the flag is still required, we can use the patch
> below.

I'm very much hoping that it is not needed. Would prefer to just toss the
whole thing away.

What's it supposed to do anyway? Keep wholly-unused pages hanging about in
each slab cache? If so, it may well be a net loss - it'd be better to push
those pages back into the page allocator so they can get reused for
something else while they're possibly still in-cache. Similarly, it's
better to fall back to the page allocator for a new slab page because
that's more likely to give us a cache-hot one.

I'm convinced, anyway ;)