Re: FMODE_EXEC or alike?

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 18:29:49 EST

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 05:17:33PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> I understand FMODE_EXEC to mean that we want to call
> deny_write_access(). OTOH, FMODE_WRITE is supposed to trigger an
> automatic call to get_write_access().

Ugh. OK, well that makes FMODE_EXEC useless for the server, then.

It'd be nice to be able to give the server some way of enforcing the
deny bits. Otherwise, though translating FMODE_EXEC to DENY_WRITE will
at least allow the nfs server to deny writes by other clients, it'll
still do nothing to protect against writers on the exported filesystem
(even local writers--nevermind the cluster case).

And an open flag is attractive since it gives at least some hope that we
might be able to do DENY_WRITE atomically with the open. Samba
apparently just does the open and then tries to get a mandatory lock
afterwards, but that seems racy.

--b.